Status: Position Open; accepting applications indefinitely
Competitive Timing is seeking applicants for a full-time, seasonal lead timer for the 2019 season and beyond. For the right candidate, seasonal work could transition into year round work. From year to year, the candidate would ideally be available for seasonal work May 1st – October 31st. Most races are one timer operations and the job would require early morning work on the weekends, the occasional weeknight event, and frequent overnight auto travel outside of city of residence. Work throughout the week is unstructured and is revolved around preparing for the upcoming events with preparing packets, communicating with race directors, and walking through timing scenarios. Please send a cover letter addressing experience pertinent to the job qualifications, why you want this position as well as why you would be a good fit; resume; and contact information for three references and their relationship to you to email@example.com with the subject of the email as “Race Timing Job”. Emailed questions welcome. Will accept applications until position filled.
- Setup and operate timing systems and software to produce results for various types of races such as running, cycling, triathlon, adventure, paddle sports, etc.
- Manage online registration platforms like RunSignUp and keeping race directors up-to-date on tools that could be used to promote their event.
- Setup ancillary race site equipment such as arches, clocks, pa system, results kiosk, announcer screens, printers, tent, etc.
- Build relationships with community organizations such as race directors, and race participants, and sponsors.
- Train and manage volunteers for packet pickup and late registration.
- Coordinate with race directors for their timing and registration needs.
Minimum Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of and preferred involvement in the race event community such as running, cycling, skiing, triathlon, etc.
- Quick learner with technology with strong computer skills. Will need to learn timing software, timing hardware, and basic computer networking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. This job is just as much friendly customer service as it is producing results behind a computer. Unafraid to talk to new people and race directors.
- Previous experience organizing and sorting spreadsheet data. Intermediate knowledge of excel.
- Ability to work and troubleshoot under pressure while staying focused and friendly with multiple distractions often occurring (ie. loud music, participants with questions, less than ideal weather conditions, last minute result requests, etc).
- Detailed oriented with a keen eye for results and erroneous data as well as organized with equipment and data.
- Previous experience training and managing small groups which is transferable to training volunteers for packet pickup and registration.
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision while also being able to work well with others.
- Ability to lift and setup heavy, sometimes awkward, equipment (sometimes up to 40 pounds) and ability to drive (sometimes long distances) to race sites with overnight travel covered by the company.
Preferred (but not necessary) Skills and Qualification
- Billings resident. Probably less travel required if Billings resident.
- Knowledge of RunSignUp Registration Platform.
- Previous work in race management or volunteer experience at race events.
- Candidate seeking for career growth within Competitive Timing not just a summer job/holding job.
- Knowledge of Race Director software or other timing software.
- Social Media Skills
- Interest in creating/promoting/and directing new events for Competitive Timing (additional compensation could apply).
- Starting salary $3,3333.33 per month June 1st – October 31st, 2019
- Paid hourly wage between November 1st and April 30th.
- Company matching Simple IRA.
- Health Insurance Stipend provided upon year two of employment.
- Race Bonus to cover race registration fees of timer for personal participation in events provided upon year two of employment.